Saturday, January 8, 2011

Emily's Christmas Program - Undone!

Preschool is so much fun! The art work Emily comes home with can be so sweet. My favorite pieces are the cut outs of Emily's hands made into Christmas ornaments or Turkeys. Little treasures of her delicate little hands, I just love it. She has such sweet friends who always say hi to me (the lady with the baby). Everett is quite the ladies man at Emily's school. They all crowd around to get a peak. I have to laugh.
We love Emily's teacher, Miss Margaret, who grew up with the same eye troubles Emily has and understands the difficulties that go along with that. For instance, Emily bumps into things a lot because the bifocal lenses mess with her depth perception. Miss Margaret is so aware and always tries to report any concerns to me when I pick Emily up.
This past Holiday season the school put together a Christmas program. You know, one of those events parents live for. It was a lot of fun to see. All the parents had to bring cookies and I found a phenomenal snicker doodle recipe, which Emily helped me prepare. We all piled into the car and headed to the school, Emily in her Christmas outfit.
Once we were all inside ready for our kids to file in with their classes we had to figure out how to take the pictures and video and manage Everett. Sounds easy perhaps but really quite the feat. Then all at once there was our little girl up in front, surrounded by her classmates, and what does she do? Does she smile and wave? No. Does she pick her nose? No. She starts to play with her clothes. Wait. She isn't playing, she's unbuttoning. She can undo buttons!?!? No way! But - wait. She's not stopping. Why isn't she stopping!?!?
Daddy! Do you see this? (Too far away) Daddy! Stop her! (Still can't hear me) Does he not see this? (to myself)

Daddy! Come over here! Take care of the baby! (Finally he's walking back to our seats) I'm outta here!(I ask the musical director if I can fix her shirt really quick)
ME:(whispering) "Emily! What are you doing?"
EMILY: "Mommy, I was hot, so I took off my shirt."
ME: (in my sternest whisper) "Emily, you're in the middle of your Christmas Program, you can't get naked right now." (putting her sweater back on, all the while blushing with embarrassment)
Daddy decides to film my walk of shame back to our seat.

Ah! Now we can enjoy this darling little Christmas program.

No comments:

Post a Comment